AB Marketing: An Introduction
Marketing: the action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising.
When it comes to marketing I'm sure you immediately think of a few things like:
- What's my target audience?
- Do I need a portfolio?
- Do I need a social media campaign?
- When should I build my website?
- Actually, where do I even start?
All of these questions are perfectly valid and they will be answered, in time~ What I want to do in this article, however, is ask you to pause for a moment, and just think about you as an artist and where you are in your own life. Instead of trying to see the big picture first, let's start small and work up from there.
As an introduction to marketing yourself in the Anthro community, I would like you to just perform a simple, self-assessment. Ask yourself these questions before you even start to google things like "marketing for digital artists" or "how do I market my art?"
- Do you already have the means to do digital art, like a tablet and art program?
- Is your profile on the mainstream anthro sites already set up? (FA, IB, etc.)
- Are you already using social media to share your art?
- Do you have a watermark/signature that is easily recognizable?
- Are you ready to dive into a world of wonderful, supportive people that will challenge your skills in more ways than you could ever imagine?
If you've answered yes to all of the above questions, then you're ready! If you've answered no to any of the above, then you have work to do! 😀
Luckily, marketing in the anthro world is not as much of an uphill battle as you might think. Unlike traditional scenarios where you would need to spend years building as impressive a portfolio as possible, going to public events to network, and gunning for gigs, now you can build everything you need right at home! Thanks to the huge community that is already in place and the "benefits" of social media, you have all the equipment necessary to market yourself and build your own brand. This brings us to our first talking point and what we are going to cover in our next marketing article:
The demon of consistency.
See you there! :3